Dearest Elizabette,
Patience! I will have nothing to say if I write too often. I am not in the least repentant for I have been shockingly busy.
My room is very pleasant. I have a lovely posted bed which I admire greatly: it is ever so gothic. I also have a hideous wardrobe of dubious provenance, and a matching armchair. I can only imagine they were the height of fashion sometime, but now they seem terribly Baroque. I strongly suspect that Grandmama has something quite like them in the Rose Room, so now you can imagine. I also have a sweet little writing desk, a dressing table and a blue china washstand. I particularly like blue china. There is a window seat built into the bow, and I have already made use of this convenient nook to hide when Eustacia comes to call on me - more about her later. My window looks out over the quad toward the gate, which means that I have an excellent view of those reprobates who climb the gate to get in after curfew when the porter has gone for a short, ah, tipple. I think this an excellent orientation, and I foresee it shall be quite useful.
I have tutorial on Wednesday morning with a most alarming individual, Dr. Montrose. He is very tall, very thin, and very loud. He has very long arms, very long legs and a very untidy office! The effect of these things is to make one feel that all the space in the little room is taken up by his voice or his limbs, leaving very little room indeed for a mere undergraduate. I feel I shall have to grow a larger personality to combat this effect. He is accounted to be extremely clever and I am told I am fortunate to have him as my tutor. I found him abrupt but not unkind and have hopes that we shall deal well together. He set me reading on the Heraldic Practices of the 17th century Lion Royal Lord Herald of Albany, with an essay for next week. So you see, I am learning about Scotland! And, since I know nothing about Scottish history, I have been quite taken up with work.
I have not yet made many acquaintances, but I hope to do so soon. I have not yet been here a week and already have much to do. I dare say this (uncharacteristic) devotion to my studies shall soon wear away, and I will be able to devote more time to rather more entertaining activities. And provide more entertaining correspondence.
Yours ever,
Philippa
My room is very pleasant. I have a lovely posted bed which I admire greatly: it is ever so gothic. I also have a hideous wardrobe of dubious provenance, and a matching armchair. I can only imagine they were the height of fashion sometime, but now they seem terribly Baroque. I strongly suspect that Grandmama has something quite like them in the Rose Room, so now you can imagine. I also have a sweet little writing desk, a dressing table and a blue china washstand. I particularly like blue china. There is a window seat built into the bow, and I have already made use of this convenient nook to hide when Eustacia comes to call on me - more about her later. My window looks out over the quad toward the gate, which means that I have an excellent view of those reprobates who climb the gate to get in after curfew when the porter has gone for a short, ah, tipple. I think this an excellent orientation, and I foresee it shall be quite useful.
I have tutorial on Wednesday morning with a most alarming individual, Dr. Montrose. He is very tall, very thin, and very loud. He has very long arms, very long legs and a very untidy office! The effect of these things is to make one feel that all the space in the little room is taken up by his voice or his limbs, leaving very little room indeed for a mere undergraduate. I feel I shall have to grow a larger personality to combat this effect. He is accounted to be extremely clever and I am told I am fortunate to have him as my tutor. I found him abrupt but not unkind and have hopes that we shall deal well together. He set me reading on the Heraldic Practices of the 17th century Lion Royal Lord Herald of Albany, with an essay for next week. So you see, I am learning about Scotland! And, since I know nothing about Scottish history, I have been quite taken up with work.
I have not yet made many acquaintances, but I hope to do so soon. I have not yet been here a week and already have much to do. I dare say this (uncharacteristic) devotion to my studies shall soon wear away, and I will be able to devote more time to rather more entertaining activities. And provide more entertaining correspondence.
Yours ever,
Philippa

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home