My dear Philippa
What a state of things! For all that I complained about
Further the schedule I am to keep, leaves me quite fagged to death. Endless parties and balls are nothing to Miss Ramstickles constant criticisms and orders.
I suppose to have this make perfect sense I really must begin with my first day at
The large Georgian terrace home is in the fashionable area to the west of my own small abode. It is some forty minute rapid walk, or over an hour at a more decorous pace. Either I arrive hot and dishevelled or late it seems. A disastrous beginning for the first task every morning is an inspection of one’s appearance. All twenty girls are to arrive by 7:30 every morning, and wait neatly lined up in the front hall. It is a rather lowering experience and one feels just like a naughty school child about to be punished. Miss Ramstickles exacting standards are never met, so the first twenty minutes or so is spent being scolded. Dress are never clean enough, straight enough, there is a wrinkle here or too many ribbons, ‘the garment must be demure and of great propriety’. We are not to appear better than our employers and above all we are Not to draw attention to our own physical appearance. We should endeavour to blend into the back ground. We are walls and panelling, pieces of furniture to be passed by without a second glance.
After this charming start to our morning, we begin the drilling of chore-work. Every well turned out Governess it seems must also be able to handle all the tasks of every other servant in the household. Apparently Governess’s are supposed to be miracle workers taking care of everything and anything. To aid us in understanding all the different tasks in a fashionable establishment, we are put to work throughout the house.
Lunch serves as another opportunity to criticise us. Split into two groups, the first are responsible for serving and naturally they can do nothing right. The second are to eat the luncheon. However, as no one seems able to carry out this task elegantly, stinging commands are sent flying around the table to those sitting stick straight in their seats. I confess it is actually better to serve the meal than to eat under Miss Ramstickles eye. Those that serve are required to eat in the kitchen and there we have twenty glorious minutes of peace.
Well needed time too, for the afternoon is filled with a lengthy number of tasks. These revolve around the various things we are to teach our charges. Again Miss Ramstickle feels that it is necessary to instruct us first, so that we are all accomplished in the various arts a proper Governess ought to know. Drawing, painting, embroidery, sewing, the piano and harp, singing, French and German and Italian, dancing and I am certain I have forgotten something. Although in all fairness, she does not expect any of to become truly accomplished in any of the above arts, for these of course are accomplishments of Ladies. Still we must try to have some understanding of such things. With ready criticisms and sarcastic comments at hand, there is no fear that any young lady present will ever meet Miss Ramstickles exacting standards. I have giving up trying to do anything better than pathetic.
It is well into the evening when we are finally sent on our way. My stomach is most cantankerous by this point. Unfortunately, I inevitably arrive after Mrs Murphy has served dinner. Thus I am faced with another lecture on timeliness, courtesy and the trials of landladies. Still, at least Mrs Murphy allows me to eat in peace after she has finished her tirade.
For this reason, I have barely seen the other borders at all. As for the other girls with whom I am being trained, I will describe them later. I fear I am by far too exhausted to more than strip off today’s clothing and sleep.
Yours in exhaustion
Elizabette

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home