Dearest Elizabette
You are being quite lazy I see! Never did I think to hear you lament the loss of so grim an individual as Nancy Taft. But really, it is quite ridiculous to imagine her coming was a possibility since I doubt your mother could cope without her. And I must say, that your describing dried out Taft as a ‘sweet goose of a girl’ put me in whoops. That lemon of a woman must be 50 if a day. What a quiz you are.
We are not allowed our own abigails at Lennox, and must make due sharing the College girls. This is supposed to effect a superior level of understanding as we will not devote ourselves to the intricacies of our toilette. However, I feel that entirely the opposite is achieved since we must each now spend extra time specifying our preferences. How they must hate us in the Lodge! I am fortunate, for I have Ellen (not the same girl who moved my things - she had been moved to Harkness), who also does for Eustacia, and is a dear. We get deal together famously (Ellen and I, Stacy and I do not get on) and she has promised to show me how to climb into the grounds of All Souls to see the Boy Bishop elected on December 6th.
I can sympathise with your desire for a familiar face. I have met only a few girls here and know none well. Eustacia I encounter the most frequently and I cannot like her. We met at High Table and now I cannot be rid of her.
Table is at half seven in the Lauder's Hall. There are three long tables and the Head. During the week we are allowed to sit as we please, which is an excellent arrangement. However, on Saturday and Sunday we have Set Sups, which means that we must sit where we are told. Sets are posted on Friday afternoons in the entrance hall. I was down for High Table on Sunday as was Eustacia in what I now perceive to be a misguided but well intended attempt on the part of the Masters to help the new girl settle in by introducing her to her colleagues. Only, sadly for me, they chose Eustacia.
There is nothing particularly objectionable about Stacy. She neither pretty nor ill-favoured. She is slightly taller than I, and has quite a sweet, pert little nose. Unfortunately, it is only pert thing about her. She is kind, though inclined to hang-on. But the worst of her is that she enjoys a peculiar combination of toadeating and moralising. One is never sure if one is going to be gently reprimanded on one’s lack of appropriate decorum, or congratulated on possession of an admirable daring. Most unnerving.
There are three girls on this corridor – Eustacia has the set of rooms nearest the main stairs and can always hear me coming try as I might to be quiet. If they were intent on choosing a companion for me, I do wish they had chosen the other girl on the hall, Mariah Goffen. I do not know her well – she is v. studious girl and does not go out often, but she seems pleasant. And I know she is clever for I have heard her talking with her particular friends. More importantly, she is not Eustacia! I look forward to enlarging my circle of acquaintance.
Bitsy you are funny today! As though Aunt Celia would ever allow you to attend endless parties and balls! She will cite the Punch Bowl Incident as the reason for keeping you in, until you are dead (or married). It is quite tragic really since it meant that I was forced to endure the Hon. Sarah Paxton without you. I must entreat you not to make a habit of breaking the dinnerware of unsuspecting hosts. They cannot be expected to know that you cannot perform a Gavotte without a degree of attrition.
Your day does indeed sound quite exhausting. I don’t know how you can endure it for it sounds ever so demeaning. I must imagine that you are Building Character for it does not seem to have much otherwise to recommend it. Do you amaze and astound your instructors with your remarkable knowledge of science? How dreadful that your mind is made to think of embroidery, and how archaic! I do not think that Miss Ramstickles can properly comprehend that you have already had a ladies education. Well, almost a ladies education since I know you did not do Music, and I dare say Science is rather out of the ordinary. Perhaps you could run away to your Great Aunt?
I see that I have rattled on quite enough for today. I do hope that your situation improves, dearest.
Believe me at all times with sincerity, your faithful and affectionate cousin,
Pippa
We are not allowed our own abigails at Lennox, and must make due sharing the College girls. This is supposed to effect a superior level of understanding as we will not devote ourselves to the intricacies of our toilette. However, I feel that entirely the opposite is achieved since we must each now spend extra time specifying our preferences. How they must hate us in the Lodge! I am fortunate, for I have Ellen (not the same girl who moved my things - she had been moved to Harkness), who also does for Eustacia, and is a dear. We get deal together famously (Ellen and I, Stacy and I do not get on) and she has promised to show me how to climb into the grounds of All Souls to see the Boy Bishop elected on December 6th.
I can sympathise with your desire for a familiar face. I have met only a few girls here and know none well. Eustacia I encounter the most frequently and I cannot like her. We met at High Table and now I cannot be rid of her.
Table is at half seven in the Lauder's Hall. There are three long tables and the Head. During the week we are allowed to sit as we please, which is an excellent arrangement. However, on Saturday and Sunday we have Set Sups, which means that we must sit where we are told. Sets are posted on Friday afternoons in the entrance hall. I was down for High Table on Sunday as was Eustacia in what I now perceive to be a misguided but well intended attempt on the part of the Masters to help the new girl settle in by introducing her to her colleagues. Only, sadly for me, they chose Eustacia.
There is nothing particularly objectionable about Stacy. She neither pretty nor ill-favoured. She is slightly taller than I, and has quite a sweet, pert little nose. Unfortunately, it is only pert thing about her. She is kind, though inclined to hang-on. But the worst of her is that she enjoys a peculiar combination of toadeating and moralising. One is never sure if one is going to be gently reprimanded on one’s lack of appropriate decorum, or congratulated on possession of an admirable daring. Most unnerving.
There are three girls on this corridor – Eustacia has the set of rooms nearest the main stairs and can always hear me coming try as I might to be quiet. If they were intent on choosing a companion for me, I do wish they had chosen the other girl on the hall, Mariah Goffen. I do not know her well – she is v. studious girl and does not go out often, but she seems pleasant. And I know she is clever for I have heard her talking with her particular friends. More importantly, she is not Eustacia! I look forward to enlarging my circle of acquaintance.
Bitsy you are funny today! As though Aunt Celia would ever allow you to attend endless parties and balls! She will cite the Punch Bowl Incident as the reason for keeping you in, until you are dead (or married). It is quite tragic really since it meant that I was forced to endure the Hon. Sarah Paxton without you. I must entreat you not to make a habit of breaking the dinnerware of unsuspecting hosts. They cannot be expected to know that you cannot perform a Gavotte without a degree of attrition.
Your day does indeed sound quite exhausting. I don’t know how you can endure it for it sounds ever so demeaning. I must imagine that you are Building Character for it does not seem to have much otherwise to recommend it. Do you amaze and astound your instructors with your remarkable knowledge of science? How dreadful that your mind is made to think of embroidery, and how archaic! I do not think that Miss Ramstickles can properly comprehend that you have already had a ladies education. Well, almost a ladies education since I know you did not do Music, and I dare say Science is rather out of the ordinary. Perhaps you could run away to your Great Aunt?
I see that I have rattled on quite enough for today. I do hope that your situation improves, dearest.
Believe me at all times with sincerity, your faithful and affectionate cousin,
Pippa

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home