Saturday, November 25, 2006

Dear Pippa

The Scottish winter rains have ceased for the time being and today I can actually see sunshine! It is a novel experience and one I took great advantage of this morning. We have the day off from the delightful Miss Ramstickle, so I have met with several of the other girls in town this morning.

We were a large party of seven girls. Though, one of our numbers will not be returning to Miss Ramstickle’s on the morrow. Lynn has acquired a post as governess to some family in Ayrshire. I am naturally delighted for her, for she really is a sweet, soft spoken girl of excellent breeding. Today we celebrated her escape into freedom. Isn’t odd to imagine that escape comes in the form of work for another family?

That is the fourth girl to leave now. I am not sure where the first two went. I just know that sometime last week I was idly counting our numbers and realized with a shock that there were only 18. I am not even sure the names of those two; neither can I picture what they looked like. The other to leave, Gladys, was a loud, boorish lass of no breeding. I was not sorry to see her go. The rumours are quite certain it was no honourable employment that she has sought.

We are now down to 16 and I imagine that it will not be much longer before several others leave. However, I shall not be one to give up so easily. I know this sound positively foolish after my last letter. But you see I had a lengthy and dull note from Julia. Whose only saving grace was the fact that she forced Margaret to write a couple of lines. My sweat baby sister let slip that the family has bet that I shan’t be able to last more than a month. Naturally I am roused to prove them wrong.

In the mean time I must tell you of our dancing lesson. Miss Ramstickle actually invited a dancing master to Trongate Place two days past. He was an energetic little man with bright ginger hair. He also had the most delightful Irish accent! With some of the most amusing phrases imaginable. Mr McCory is generally a silent man, saying very few words even when teaching. However, being ever so passionate about his trade, he can become quite vocal when things are not going properly. You know, my dear, that grace and elegance have never been two of my virtues. I must confess that I was particularly awkward that day to such an entertaining end. I managed to step on his toes no few than seven times at which point he would let out lengthy and colourful tirades to the entire room. It was very hilarious!

By the by, whatever did happen to Sarah Paxton? I haven’t thought of her for an age.

My dear I must go and tidy my room now, so that I may appear promptly for a change at Mrs Murphy’s table. I am quite determined not to be late for I don’t want to ruin my delightful day off with another scolding.

Yours in affection

Elizabette

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home